Close

    • Weistec CLK63 Black Series M156 V8 supercharger development update - 573 whp dyno

      Now, you might be scratching your head, why 573 whp when the previous dyno released was 640 whp? Well, this dyno no longer has the dip the 640 whp dyno had which leads us to believe the boost was turned down to not have torque limiter issues. We were told this dyno was 10-11 psi vs. the previous 14 psi. The dyno was done on C16 race gas as well, just like the previous dyno. What we gather from this is that going over 10 psi created issues for the torque limiters in the ECU and transmission software. So while this dyno does not make as much power, it is cleaner and provides a steady curve until redline.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Weistec CLK63 Black Series M156 V8 supercharger development update - 573 whp dyno started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 129 Comments
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How is he making 550 rwhp at 5 psi yet Jim is making 574 at 10-11 psi with heads, cams, race gas, etc?
        Different dynos, perhaps? Although those would be some pretty massive diminishing returns if "stock + Stage 1 S/C + pump gas" = 550 rwhp, but "Stock + Stage 2 S/C + catless LTs and race exhaust + SLS cams + upgraded fuel system + upgraded cooling system + ported heads + C16 race gas + etc etc" = 573 rwhp.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        Different dynos, perhaps? Although those would be some pretty massive diminishing returns if "stock + Stage 1 S/C + pump gas" = 550 rwhp, but "Stock + Stage 2 S/C + catless LTs and race exhaust + SLS cams + upgraded fuel system + upgraded cooling system + ported heads + C16 race gas + etc etc" = 573 rwhp.
        Exactly, it doesn't really add up.
      1. MHP LLC's Avatar
        MHP LLC -
        Good questions and points. Hopefully we can get ecampbell over here to help us out.
      1. Barfly's Avatar
        Barfly -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Exactly, it doesn't really add up.
        I've read that teh 550rw BS has headers not sure if they are catted.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        I've read that teh 550rw BS has headers not sure if they are catted.
        Still wouldn't explain them being so close. Need to see that graph...
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
        IIRC he has dyno results and either has or will post them. It's been a while since I've been over there but there was more info about his car in both the 204 and CLK BS forums
        Who is IIRC?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Who is IIRC?
        That is just short for "If I recall/remember correctly."
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        I have no desire to post a mod list or a dyno slip. I know what the car makes, several people have seen the dyno run so in the end I have nothing to prove.

        I am sorry if that is not the answer you want but my car, my money, my decision....please respect it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        I have no desire to post a mod list or a dyno slip. I know what the car makes, several people have seen the dyno run so in the end I have nothing to prove.

        I am sorry if that is not the answer you want but my car, my money, my decision....please respect it.
        I respect your decision and it really isn't about proving anything.

        What people are trying to understand is how your car makes 550 whp at 5 psi yet JRCART's makes 575 whp or so at 10 psi.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I respect your decision and it really isn't about proving anything.

        What people are trying to understand is how your car makes 550 whp at 5 psi yet JRCART's makes 575 whp or so at 10 psi.
        I think it's just one of those situations where a person gets really attached to a dyno number. It's fun to think of your car making high hp. But, it's all relative. I mean, ecampbell's car may actually make 550 rwhp. That's believable. But, it likely doesn't make that much power on 91 octane. No big deal. All he likely has to do is put in the good fuel and then bam, his car makes 550 rwhp.

        Also, I remember, when the E-force superchargers were coming out for Camaro's and purchasers were ordering their kits with smaller pulleys. They would say, "my car makes xxx at 5-6 psi." And you would look at the graph with the boost line included and you would see that at redline, the car was making >10 psi. I remember questioning those who claimed they made xxx at 5 psi, when their graph showed >10 psi, and some actually got offended.

        The thing is, it's hard to see how you get your cake and ice cream too: running such low boost and using crap fuel and making so much power seems like a pipe dream.

        I respect the owners decision not to post any graphs. But, no one is buying the power claims. No biggy.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        I think it's just one of those situations where a person gets really attached to a dyno number. It's fun to think of your car making high hp. But, it's all relative. I mean, ecampbell's car may actually make 550 rwhp. That's believable. But, it likely doesn't make that much power on 91 octane. No big deal. All he likely has to do is put in the good fuel and then bam, his car makes 550 rwhp.

        Also, I remember, when the E-force superchargers were coming out for Camaro's and purchasers were ordering their kits with smaller pulleys. They would say, "my car makes xxx at 5-6 psi." And you would look at the graph with the boost line included and you would see that at redline, the car was making >10 psi. I remember questioning those who claimed they made xxx at 5 psi, when their graph showed >10 psi, and some actually got offended.

        The thing is, it's hard to see how you get your cake and ice cream too: running such low boost and using crap fuel and making so much power seems like a pipe dream.

        I respect the owners decision not to post any graphs. But, no one is buying the power claims. No biggy.
        I agree with everything you said.

        I'm not calling him a liar or asking him to prove anything to me or anyone else. Forced induction on this platform is so new that we really don't have all that much information on it.

        Who knows how much power he is making but in order to learn dynos certainly play a key role. I buy he is making 550 whp I just don't understand the PSI and power disparity between the two setups. By not posting a dyno it just makes us all more curious and skeptical of certain claims but that is his right/decision.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I agree with everything you said.

        I'm not calling him a liar or asking him to prove anything to me or anyone else. Forced induction on this platform is so new that we really don't have all that much information on it.

        Who knows how much power he is making but in order to learn dynos certainly play a key role. I buy he is making 550 whp I just don't understand the PSI and power disparity between the two setups. By not posting a dyno it just makes us all more curious and skeptical of certain claims but that is his right/decision.
        For sure.

        Like you said, its a new addition to the platform, and we just want to know more. Its part of the fun in this hobby/lifestyle/profession/addiction (whatever, ha).
      1. Full Throttle's Avatar
        Full Throttle -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        I have no desire to post a mod list or a dyno slip. I know what the car makes, several people have seen the dyno run so in the end I have nothing to prove.

        I am sorry if that is not the answer you want but my car, my money, my decision....please respect it.
        Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
        Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
        There are people who do this in every community unfortunately. Their choice, but when it is a topic with little info (Weistec supercharger) any and all information is appreciated.

        I think we can all agree there will be a pretty big disparity between 5 and 10 psi.
      1. JBond's Avatar
        JBond -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
        Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
        +1000 we are all trying to learn and getting accurate info is part of that process. ecampbell, you do realize this only adds to the growing amount of skepticism among members. I don't understand your mentality but will respect your decision.

        Last question: Are you still going to publicly claim 550rw but not post anything to back it up?
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Actually I never claimed 550rw and didn't really need or want the attention on that to begin with (that comparing our two cars would no doubt bring). Jim put the number up as he either saw the dyno slip or spoke to Weistec. To me it is simply a number that people get all caught up with and I prefer to simply move on.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Actually I never claimed 550rw and didn't really need or want the attention on that to begin with (that comparing our two cars would no doubt bring). Jim put the number up as he either saw the dyno slip or spoke to Weistec. To me it is simply a number that people get all caught up with and I prefer to simply move on.
        Understood, I guess many of us were under the impression you claimed the number.

        Just of curiosity, why are you getting your car supercharged and participating on MB forums if you do not intend to share any details? I do not mean that as a negative, just curious what your build goals and intentions are.
      1. Full Throttle's Avatar
        Full Throttle -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Actually I never claimed 550rw and didn't really need or want the attention on that to begin with (that comparing our two cars would no doubt bring). Jim put the number up as he either saw the dyno slip or spoke to Weistec. To me it is simply a number that people get all caught up with and I prefer to simply move on.
        Here is what you posted on *another board*

        http://www.mbworld.org/forums/4593526-post4.html <---------------If this is against the rules please remove it.
        First impressions:

        1. instant throttle response from about 2,000 rpm
        2. when driving normal you can not hear the sc which was my biggest concern as I don't want attention
        3. spinning in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd....esp can be your friend here (on the street) unless you want to play
        4. raining in socal today so no pics
        5. rwhp is in the 550 region...I haven't seen dyno slips yet
        6. biggest problem is that it confirms the heads and cams will be coming shortly!

        Only get another week with the car before it goes back to storage so will try and get pics and video if time allows.
        This suggests there is a dyno sheet available but you have not personally seen it.
      1. oldgixxer's Avatar
        oldgixxer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
        Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
        He has spent too much time on MBW thats why&his post shows it
      1. Full Throttle's Avatar
        Full Throttle -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
        He has spent too much time on MBW thats why&his post shows it
        I dont want to take this thread any further off track, i just hate when people post BS, but you are 100% right that is the norm *over there*.