12-26-2014, 09:44 PM
M5board is filled with old men who think their M5's are gifts forged by the automotive gods themselves. They actually delude themselves to the point that their heads are basically stuck up their M5's exhaust pipes. Let's look at this brilliant analysis from an M5board member on the absolutely badass 2016 CTS-V.
Now we do not blame their members for their feeling of M5 invincibility. The administrator Gustav has filmed races showing M5's destroying basically anything that moves (it happens when you fix races to make the cars look faster than they really are or used modified examples against stock cars) so they get an overinflated sense of self-worth.
Yours truly easily beat a tuned E39 M5 on the highway in a DCT M3 only for everyone on M5board to state it could not happen due to a video Gustav posted. The mentality of perceived superiority that has nothing to do with reality is hard to break. They just do not want to hear it.
So despite the E60 M5 being two generations old now we have this genius analysis of the E60 M5 compared to the new CTS-V:
1. Now you start with the first point of no V10. Well, apparently everything other than a Carrera GT, Viper, Huracan/Gallardo, and E60 M5 is a pile of crap on that basis alone.
2. Apparently this does not sound as 'good' because he says so:
3. Lower redline? Yeah... with more torque at the wheels off idle than the peak torque an E60 M5 sees at the crank. In other words, a difference of about 300 lb-ft at the wheels at only 2000 rpm which means it does not need to rev like an M5:
(Note, C7 LT4 dynograph displayed)
Stock 2006 E60 M5:
4. You do know the previous generation CTS-V that does not feature 3rd generation magnetic ride architecture inspired by the C7 Z06 beats the E60 M5 around the track, right?
2009 CTS-V: 7:59
2005 E60 M5: 8:13
5. The age old interior argument. If you own a German luxury car this is the argument of desperation. If the numbers prove everything else as superior to the M5 always resort to the interior quality argument. The thing is, it has not held water for some time:
2016 CTS-V Interior:
2007 E60 M5 Interior:
Sure, the M5 interior is very nice but the idea that it is worlds better than what Cadillac is doing today is an argument that is simply a relic. One can make the argument BMW interiors have not taken the steps forward that Cadillac's have.
6. The final argument is perhaps the most delusional. BMW's image has taken a tumble. They are now the German Toyota. Their own executives are jumping ship.
If your only argument is centered around a perceived brand image rather than the actual quality of the engineering and product the argument is flawed to begin with.
Sorry M5 owners, it's time to deal with reality. The M5's days of dominance are behind it. The CTS-V will chew up and spit out the F10 M5 let alone the dated E60. Come to terms with it however you need to. Perhaps by hanging out on a forum where everyone else will say the same thing preserving your fragile ego and false sense of superiority.